Life Changing

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I had every intention of updating last week about the wonderful weekend Keith and I had with all of our friends. I had a girls night, Keith had a guys night, and we finished the weekend up by spending an entire day at the Cooper's house watching football games. War Eagle! Like I said I had every intention, but did not succeed. My faith in the Lord was tested last week, and I must say that I am not sure I did very well. I had a very scary and not so promising conversation with doctor regarding some severe joint pain. She ended my visit by preparing me for the worst. Needless to say, I lost it! I cried the entire way home and poor Keith really had no idea what was going on. Being a nurse makes days like these very hard. The very moment my doctor mentioned the possibility of a chronic illness, I started reliving all the things I had learned in nursing school. I actually remembered a lot! I had prepared myself for the worst, forgetting that God was in control. It took 48 hours to process my lab results, and lots of prayer...they were all within normal limits! I did show signs of the beginning of an infection, but 7 days of antibiotics would knock that right out. The final verdict was a reaction to a medication that I was taking...much better than what was first placed at my feet.

What did I learn...I finally grasped something that I have been taught my entire life...it was life changing...God is in control. My life is in the hands of the Lord, yet my human nature thinks that I can take care of things on my own. While I was diagnosing myself with some disease, my God was taking care of me. I was "fearfully and wonderfully made," so why do I constantly feel the need to worry. We worry about money, jobs, stability, the clothes we where, the houses we live in, the cars we drive: this world revolves around worrying. As Christians, God has called us to hand our lives over to Him. I read in Mathew this morning about what Jesus said about worrying:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, or what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

I love this:

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Mathew 6:25-33

Seek first his Kingdom. I am learning more and more about this verse. My life is not about this world...it is simply about a loving relationship with my God and bringing glory to Him through everything that I do. His love for me is so great, and His plan for me is perfect. Now I must let go and let Him take control.



post signature

1 comments:

jskeen said...

"My life is not about this world"--an amazing truth everyone needs to learn. In all your decision making always keep that thought.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

The Lord is teaching me this week about "greed,which is idolatry". Too many times in my life I have been obsessed with wanting MORE. Since you are of my seed & I had a hand in raising you, I urge you & Keith to guard your hearts against this evil.

Love you both